Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Nurse's Call


Nurse’s Call

It was maybe 3 o’clock in the morning when I received a call from the psychiatric unit.  This was not an unusual event.  A patient had just been admitted via the E. R. and I had been assigned to his care.  After the nurse briefly summarized his current status she asked for orders to cover his needs until I would see him 4 hours later.  I apparently responded with a recitation of routine laboratory and PRN orders that would suffice and hung up the phone.  My wife immediately shook me until I was fully awake and asked me if I was sure I had been alert enough to give the nurse orders for this newly arrived patient.  I said I thought so and asked why she might be concerned.  She responded, “Because before you hung up you said good night, I love you.”

Fortunately, the nurse who had called was the oldest and most competent on our staff.  She no doubt knew I was not awake enough to be able to make good decisions and had she thought cogent thinking was required on my part would most certainly have called again.


2006

No comments:

Post a Comment