Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Hubert


Hubert

I first saw Hubert when he came to the hospital to provide information regarding his wife.  She had been admitted to the psychiatric unit on a detention order after being arrested by the police.  She had been driving her car down main street in the late evening at 60 miles per hour.  When they apprehended her she was naked. She was in a manic state and responded to treatment with a combination of lithium and an antipsychotic medication.  However, she was not very compliant with her medications and her illness was severe.  This resulted in multiple hospitalizations over the next few years.  Hubert, in spite of many interactions with the staff including myself could never quite understand how these behaviors could be a product of mental illness rather than volitional choices on her part.  This ultimately led to his decision to divorce her. Soon thereafter she was placed in a group home where psychiatric treatment was provided by the local county mental health clinic.

About 10 years later, now remarried, Hubert was referred to me by his family physician for treatment of an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  His repetitive behaviors were seriously interfering with his work as well as his family and social life.  His speech was concrete and circumstantial.  His main and seemingly only interest was the church he had joined after his divorce.  It was there that he had met his second wife and had been born again.  Almost all of his family and social activities took place there. He spent his break times at work quoting the bible. trying to convince his fellow employees to find the truth so they could be saved as he surely had been.

His compulsive rituals responded well to treatment. During his return visits that were scheduled for support and monitoring of his medication he talked about his religious thoughts and endeavors.  On the third appointment he asked me what religion I belonged to and practiced. I would usually be very open with patients who would ask this.  I would explain that I was not religious and that if that were important to them I knew a psychiatrist in the area who was not only religious but utilized biblical teachings as part of his therapy.  I would then offer to make a referral to this doctor if they so desired. 

But the situation with Hubert was unique as I viewed it.  I did not think his needs would be better met by a doctor who stressed the bible since he was already overly preoccupied with it.  So I responded that I did not think it would be appropriate for me to tell him my religious preference. Not satisfied with my refusal to answer his question it became his goal to find out which place of worship I was attending. It apparently never occurred to him that I might not belong to a church since he perceived me as a good person and he viewed the one as incompatible with the other.  He expressed his frustration with being unable to find the answer. On Sunday mornings he would park his car across the street from my house with the thought that once he would see me leave he could follow me to my destination and his question would be answered.  The problem with his plan was that his church was a twenty minute drive from where I lived and he could never allow himself to be late for his service. He’d wait until the last possible moment until he would feel ineluctably compelled to drive away. He repeated his vigil Sunday after Sunday to no avail and finally concluded that the church I attended must have been closer to my house than was his. 

Hubert remained under my care for many years. My secret remained intact and I’d like to think this contributed at least in part to the success of his treatment.


2006  

No comments:

Post a Comment